Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fire Up The Engines!
TheBlasphemer
post Sep 30 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Alrighty, Windows Live Messenger 9 is in a more robust beta, not likely to change too much, so it's time for me to update StuffPlug. While we're at it, I might as well do some other chores wink.gif
Do you feel that there's something wrong or missing with the site? Is there a specific minor change you'd like to see to features? Something you feel I should look at?
Tell me here, and maybe I will smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post Oct 1 2008, 04:47 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

The site's skin needs an update wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
jerone
post Oct 1 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #3

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,050

I like to see more features. There hasn't been one new feature for ages.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
warmth
post Oct 1 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,006

Great news... I'll think about it and let you know TB... tongue.gif

[OFFTOPIC]
btw any betatester spot available???
http://www.msghelp.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=23377
[/OFFTOPIC]

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
+Quote Post
_Maxymus_
post Oct 2 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,738

[ First post ]
Nice job, TB =)
Did you tried the Windows Live Messenger 2009?
It's great too =]

I'm here hopping your next version of SP =p
I wanted the old one to be compatible, but it's not =/
I'm in need of the 'light the SCROLL LOCK LED' function =p

It's like.... I can't play anymore oO
I dunno when I receive a message anymore hehe

But it's ok. I'll wait here =)

Thanks for your hard work.
Keep goin' =)

byez
+Quote Post
Enne
post Oct 4 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,049

Good to hear something from you smile.gif

The only reason why i don't use the WLM 9 bta, is because SP isn't compatible ( yet )

keep up the good work

--------------------
--== He who controls the past, commands the future. ==--
** He who commands the future, conquers the past. **
We all....Command....And....Conquer....
+Quote Post
Nuno Peralta
post Oct 6 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,021

TB, at the moment, Messenger Discovery 2 has the most features of SP3, then I don't miss so much the StuffPlug.

What I mean is, try to do some GREAT exclusive features, instead of repeating the ones that the other add-ons have, and you will have great success smile.gif

I hope it!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
EaglesNestOne
post Oct 6 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Beta testers
Member No.: 1,609

I installed WLM9 on my vista dual boot. MAD but confusing... everything is opposite to where it used to be. Can't wait for next beta release to test tongue.gif. Keep up teh good work!

This post has been edited by EaglesNestOne: Oct 6 2008, 09:28 AM

--------------------
MWAMHAHAHAAAAA TEH THREAD KILLER :d
EaglesNestOne
+Quote Post
Basilis
post Oct 7 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,465

QUOTE(Nuno Peralta @ Oct 6 2008, 06:01 AM) *

TB, at the moment, Messenger Discovery 2 has the most features of SP3, then I don't miss so much the StuffPlug.

What I mean is, try to do some GREAT exclusive features, instead of repeating the ones that the other add-ons have, and you will have great success smile.gif

I hope it!

I agree with you.
Also, a change in the design of StuffPlug, or it being skinnable would be great.
I have translated the latest version of StuffPlug in Greek so I offer to translate the new one too. If you want to add it, please give me any details I need to know. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
gasf
post Oct 22 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,052

QUOTE(Basilis @ Oct 7 2008, 06:30 PM) *

Also, a change in the design of StuffPlug, or it being skinnable would be great.

Skinnable Stuffplug? Why the fork does one need that? :S
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post Oct 23 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(gasf @ Oct 22 2008, 11:41 PM) *

Skinnable Stuffplug? Why the fork does one need that? :S

The same reason Firefox and Windows need/have themes, WLM is skinnable, and MP!L can even skin itself. Because it's fun! And makes your computer experience more enjoyable.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kangie
post Oct 23 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 10

The skinning part of MsgPlus is for skinning messenger its self is it not?

I personally only use skins on things I see alot, like firefox/XP as a whole.. Having the options part of SP skinnable would be pointless, as most of the features work without me ever needing to see the options panel, thats what I like about it tongue.gif

Unless you mean what Plus! does, and enables you to skin messenger, but that would also require some kind of database with skins in for people to use..
+Quote Post
Basilis
post Oct 23 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Kangie @ Oct 23 2008, 12:24 PM) *

The skinning part of MsgPlus is for skinning messenger its self is it not?

I personally only use skins on things I see alot, like firefox/XP as a whole.. Having the options part of SP skinnable would be pointless, as most of the features work without me ever needing to see the options panel, thats what I like about it tongue.gif

Unless you mean what Plus! does, and enables you to skin messenger, but that would also require some kind of database with skins in for people to use..

Plus! can be skinned, meaning that you can change the design of it. It may be pointless for some people but no one would mind if the design of StuffPlug could be changed by its users

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post Oct 23 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Basilis @ Oct 23 2008, 11:17 PM) *

no one would mind if the design of StuffPlug could be changed by its users

It may be nice but the question is "is it worth it?" In my opinion: no. I visit the StuffPlug options window once after installing, if even at all. There is no need to be switching features on and off. The content stealer, ok I might be able to understand, but it's not like people use that often anyway (that I know of) - it's a lot faster to just clone a person then manually steal their display pictures.

The option to skin MP!L's own layout could be considered pointless as well, however numerous reasons could be given for making that part skinnable, including: "well we're skinning all of messenger so why not skin the skinning program as well". The project had already begun, so would be easy to extend it a little bit more.

Creating a skinning engine (I would think) isn't easy. And for the amount of users who will even use these skins with StuffPlug I would think is probably limited. I don't even know if there are any skins out that skin MP!L - and if there are, there aren't many, and I wouldn't think too many would be using them, because there's no need to.

--------------------
+Quote Post
asaa3p3ujvm
post Oct 26 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,391

I would like to be able to change the custom standard emoticons back to how MS designed them wink.gif
+Quote Post
Plan-1130
post Nov 2 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 291

I think you need to focus on the scripting engine. Make functions that you can't use in MsgPlus. For example, make it possible to add buttons to several buttonbars (in the conversations, the bar with emoticons, winks etc., the bar with filesharing, videocall etc., or in the main window, the bar with email, Sharing folders, etc.), for superquick access.
Or do something with the main window, like auto-hide it, or something special (yet useful).

It's a shame the gloryious days of the messenger add-on underground are something of the past. Those were days I could spend the whole day being impressed by MSN, rather than actually chatting. Nowadays I check the sites to see if there's actually been a change, and if there's been, if it makes a significant change. Nowadays the 3 major addons run stable, and do their thing in the background, but back in the days new things and features were added, by the week, it was a lot more exciting to have them running. I've been a beta-tester of MDX, which was the least stable one, but I loved it. It gave me power, a headstart to my contacts. I loved it! Now development is somthing you hope for, every month. But we've all grown up, got jobs, friends, and a lot of other things to spend our time on. It's a pity, it was a vital thing to my youth.

I sometimes miss those days. I could have been a lot more socially develloped if i never spent so much time on it, but I've had a lot of fun, even made friends in the scene.
If only an add-on could amaze me like it did back then.

+Quote Post
Matti
post Nov 12 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Translator
Member No.: 13

Yes, your scripting system has some potentiality. Make the API as intuitive as you can, with object-oriented stuff and, if possible, make events work like this:
CODE
Button.AddEvent("Click", function() { DoSomething() });

so we can add event handlers in runtime - very interesting for extra classes! (compared to Plus! Live scripting, where we can only have one OnEvent_ for each event.
QUOTE(Nuno Peralta @ Oct 6 2008, 04:01 AM) *

Yes, but Messenger Discovery isn't programmed very well. I prefer a small collection of interesting well-coded functions than a big load of half-working ones. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Basilis
post Nov 12 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Any more news about the development of version 4? Don't forget to contact me so that my translation is added in the next version

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
simonalexander2005
post Apr 4 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,091

Hey,

I would just like to say excellent job with stuffplug. I have used at least the releases for the last 2 versions of messenger, if not earlier.

I agree that messenger 9 does cover most of what stuffplug used to provide. The main thing i'm missing is the little mail icon at the bottom that displays when I recieve an e-mail. it's really annoying having to check for this - a very small thing, but it will be missed I think.

I'd say the website is very well laid out, and the simplicity makes it good - no major changes needed really.

As for skinnable stuffplug, I personally wouldn't use it - I mean I see the point of it, but MSN is so customisable now, there must be a colour option somewhere that suits everyone, surely?
+Quote Post
JRL
post Apr 8 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,407

Cool, I got a Few Ideas. After just downloading the new version of WLM.

It has these horribly large Group text in the contacts window, Maybe make it possible to change the text size/colour/etc, or even have an version 8 style.

Removal of the usual would be nice, search box, adverts, etc.

The tiny status icons are cute, but maybe the old style status icons would be handy.

A choice to get rid of the little transparent pop up boxes is another one, its annoying taking the mouse over a display pic and getting things pop up.

Option to turn animated Display Pics on/off, maybe?

Also the chat box buttons are switched below the typing box, option to put it on to or along the side?
Maybe also have the option to switch which side the pics are on?

Ah and the contact window has that little waste of time animation for changing the WLM skin, maybe remove it from there and turn it into an option in tools or some where.

So summary of problems:
-Chunky text in Contact window
-Adverts/clutter of buttons in contact window
-Side the Display Pics are on in the chat windows
-Transparent boxes for contact cards/etc keep popping up.

happy.gif I'll mention more ideas as I play with it. O,0 Its going to be annoying now having the Stuffplug
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:37 PM