post Apr 30 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Here's a little interview with myself on Project M:
---
What is Project M anyway?
A new project I'm working on. It's going to be a brand new messenger add-on.

Oh? What happened to StuffPlug?
In the process of trying to port it to Windows Live Messenger 9, and get to finish the Scripting feature, I got the feeling that the engine behind it was in no way proper for what I intended with it. So as WLM9 isn't out yet, and doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon, I decided to start on something new instead of update the old and dusty things.

So what makes this project M different?
Well, first of all, it's built from the ground up, so I get to re-make all those architectural decisions with a lot more experience than I did at the time of writing SP3.
Instead of first writing a full fledged internal framework that is highly focused on specific things, and then later on trying to bend and twist that framework to a Scripting API, I've decided to build a new framework with scripting in mind from the very beginning. Everything will be COM and completely modular. The main application doesn't actually do anything else than load so-called modules and help them communicate.
A module can either provide a feature, provide an API, or provide an entirely new way to load modules.
So let's say you want to be able to write a module in Ruby, then all you'd have to do is write a module in one of the already supported languages to load a Ruby object and proxy it to COM, and you're done!
If you want to write a new feature for it, simply find other modules that provide the API's you need, and hack them together with your favourite language!
Is an API you'd like to see not supported? Write your own!

Why COM? Isn't that old?
Yes, COM is pretty old, but apart from a few minor flaws, I feel it's still pretty solid. The main reason to pick COM is because it translates very well to a broad range of programming languages. For example you can use COM from JScript, from .NET, from Native C++, hell even more Assembly!
The other option was .NET, but I opted out of that, because to communicate with .NET from native C++ or Assembly, you need COM anyway wink.gif

When can we expect this?
Not any time soon, sorry. I'm currently still in the process of drawing up the design, and I haven't actually written a line of messenger-specific code.
Also I'm not sure that I can even finish this: I feel I've lost the challenge in messenger developing. However I'm trying to force myself through this first stage, and see how I feel once the foundations are ready.

Lost the challenge in messenger development?
Yes. It used to be a challenge to disassemble messenger and find out what other tricks I could pull, but lately I seem to know all the ins and outs of messenger, and it feels like routine. I'm hoping that this major new idea to plugin development will get my interest back though.

So no messenger code eh? so what did you do?
Well, I've got the main module loader done, I've got a module that creates a simple console window for dropping debug messages, and I've got a module that allows for scripted (VBScript or JScript) modules.
Currently I'm working on a module that will take care of initialization order (e.g. a callback function when all the stuff you need is properly initialized), and after that I'm going to work on a .NET loader module, and once I have that done I'll start on the messenger specific stuff.

Why are you posting this?
Well, it's been awfully silent around StuffPlug lately, and I felt I owed an explanation for that.

---
If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to post them here smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jerone
post Apr 30 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,050

Can't wait.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nuno Peralta
post May 1 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,021

good luck ^^

Just a question

Why the name "Project M"? =)

Posts merged - Kangie

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
TheBlasphemer
post May 2 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Administrator

QUOTE(Nuno Peralta @ May 1 2008, 12:29 PM) *

Why the name "Project M"? =)

Well, actually it's not "Project M", but another name tongue.gif
However, I haven't registered the domain names yet, and I don't want to publicize the name before that's happened.
+Quote Post
Nuno Peralta
post May 2 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TheBlasphemer @ May 2 2008, 01:15 PM) *

Well, actually it's not "Project M", but another name tongue.gif
However, I haven't registered the domain names yet, and I don't want to publicize the name before that's happened.

yeah, i think that it is a good ideia. so, good work wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post May 4 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Wow that sounds amazing! Yeah I had gotten the feeling developing StuffPlug had started to feel like a routine with all the expectations of a new release as often as all the other messenger add-ons. The thing is, StuffPlug is a COOL name! I hope you can make another cool name for Project M too. wink.gif But does this mean when Project M is eventually released, StuffPlug will be continue to be supported with newer versions every so often? I wouldn't think so due to the limitations you mentioned, but what about just fixing various bugfixes? If it were just fixes, people wouldn't have such a rush to get a new version if it's just going to fix a bug which it is probably unlikely they've encounted in the first place. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Keikonium
post May 8 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1,078

So by the sounds of it, Project M will be almost like the wiki-of-the-addon-world, by allowing users to add their own plugins and features via various scripting languages? Or am I mistaken in saying that?

Also, will Project M be the successor to StuffPlug, containing it's old features as well as anything you add in the future?

I remember talk about the next major version of Stuffplug being 4.0 that was to be released for WLM9; I take it that project was scrapped in exchange for this new Project M?

I've always loved stuffplug, and it would be a shame to enter into the new WLM9 world without such a wonderful plugin wink.gif. Good luck with your Project M, and looking forward to seeing / hearing about any progress you make happy.gif!
+Quote Post
Nuno Peralta
post May 8 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Keikonium @ May 9 2008, 12:46 AM) *

I've always loved stuffplug, and it would be a shame to enter into the new WLM9 world without such a wonderful plugin wink.gif.

Since the program (with what name it has) is by TB....... we need to love tongue.gif
But remember that TheSteve and J-Thread are cool people, too =D

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
TheBlasphemer
post May 9 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #9

Administrator

QUOTE(Keikonium @ May 8 2008, 11:46 PM) *

So by the sounds of it, Project M will be almost like the wiki-of-the-addon-world, by allowing users to add their own plugins and features via various scripting languages? Or am I mistaken in saying that?

You're close smile.gif
Just imagine Plus! scripting but much more extensible.

Also, will Project M be the successor to StuffPlug, containing it's old features as well as anything you add in the future?

My goal is to at least make sure that most SP features can be written as scripts.

I remember talk about the next major version of Stuffplug being 4.0 that was to be released for WLM9; I take it that project was scrapped in exchange for this new Project M?

Yes, stuffplug is just no longer something I enjoy working on :/

I've always loved stuffplug, and it would be a shame to enter into the new WLM9 world without such a wonderful plugin wink.gif. Good luck with your Project M, and looking forward to seeing / hearing about any progress you make happy.gif!

I'll keep you posted
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post May 9 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TheBlasphemer @ May 9 2008, 09:08 PM) *

Yes, stuffplug is just no longer something I enjoy working on :/

One could argue you would take that unenjoyment of working on StuffPlug to the new project of Project M. Sure it's being rewritten from the ground up but essentially it's still a messenger add-on, but with a bit of a name change, so it might not seem like much of a "new" challenge. Then again writing in a new style is always interesting so I suppose that's always fun.

And why do I have a sneaking suspicion whatever "Project M" stands for starts with the letter M? It just seems so obvious to me but why else would it be "M" tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Aardvark: May 9 2008, 03:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Keikonium
post May 12 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1,078

Magnificent perhaps haha smile.gif.

If interest is ever lost entirly in any WLM related projects you work on in the future (or stuffplug as it is now) will source code ever be released for others to continue development, or will J-Thread / TheSteve pick up where you leave off? Basically I just want to have the default browser options in WLM9 if it's not included by default laugh.gif .
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post May 12 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

StuffPlug's source code will NEVER be released, this has been stated numerous times across the years, and I don't see why that would change now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheSteve
post May 12 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 723

QUOTE(Keikonium @ May 12 2008, 04:41 PM) *
Basically I just want to have the default browser options in WLM9 if it's not included by default laugh.gif .

If Stuffplug does die forever(which I honestly don't see happening), chances are that most if not all of its good features will be ported to project "M" in one way or another.

After all, the whole idea behind project "M" is to be very open to addition.
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post May 12 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Technically StuffPlug is dying - it's being replaced by Project M tongue.gif And over time Project M will prove to be (hopefully) vastly superior than StuffPlug ever was, rendering StuffPlug only useful to people who don't want to upgrade or who love using the classic versions of things (like me). Windows 3.1 for life!! cool.gif

EDIT: If not dying then retiring, whatever same deal.

This post has been edited by Aardvark: May 12 2008, 12:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nuno Peralta
post May 12 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Think positive:

People who knows the name "StuffPlug" as "Opened Window Notifier", will never go to a forum of Project M and say: "where is the feature to notify me of opened windows?"

lol

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Matti
post May 12 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Translator
Member No.: 13

Oh dear, you're still alive? I was just about to look where you have been buried... rolleyes.gif

That sounds like a very cool new project, TB! I hope you'll find the challenge of programming Messenger add-ons again, and I really hope that you'll finish this project. The idea is awesome and I think very cool new features will be created thanks to this project. smile.gif

Good to hear something you, TB! Now get back on your work, slave! mad.gif tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Aardvark
post May 13 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Nuno Peralta @ May 13 2008, 05:10 AM) *

Think positive:

People who knows the name "StuffPlug" as "Opened Window Notifier", will never go to a forum of Project M and say: "where is the feature to notify me of opened windows?"

lol

That is genious, I never thought of that! Now let's make sure we get all the dodgy features out of StuffPlug before they're ported over to Project M so it doesn't suffer the same harassment as StuffPlug has with things like the open/closed notifiers. tongue.gif

Then again most of the features in StuffPlug are useful anyway, so there isn't really a need to get rid of anything... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
EaglesNestOne
post May 13 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Beta testers
Member No.: 1,609

OMG I forgot I didn't post here. Lol sounds awsome can't wait.

--------------------
MWAMHAHAHAAAAA TEH THREAD KILLER :d
EaglesNestOne
+Quote Post
EaglesNestOne
post May 26 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Beta testers
Member No.: 1,609

Sorry to bump but shouldn't this be in "Recent News" on the main page?

EaglesNestOne

--------------------
MWAMHAHAHAAAAA TEH THREAD KILLER :d
EaglesNestOne
+Quote Post
TheSteve
post May 26 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 723

QUOTE(EaglesNestOne @ May 26 2008, 11:55 AM) *
shouldn't this be in "Recent News" on the main page?

No, the Latest News section shown on the main page pulls from the Latest News forum. Not the development blog. Besides, this technically isn't related to Stuffplug.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 03:42 AM